Sunday, February 27, 2011

Savory Sundays

Well, we did it! We went an entire month without spending any of our normally budgeted monthly income on dining out!

Let me back up and explain this statement...

We decided to take February off from eating out in order to try and save some money and pay down our medical bills from Asher's birth & extended hospital stay quicker. We did fabulous, and the only times we ate out were on my birthday (we used our date night money to pay for that) and once at the beginning of the month when we ordered pizza, but Aaron paid for it with some of his Christmas money so we wouldn't have to pull from our regular budget. I still can't believe we did it! Let me say this: IT. WAS. HARD. And those words don't even begin to express how I truly feel about it all, but if I learned anything, I learned to be more disciplined with our finances, and was daily reminded that ALL that we have does not belong to us, but is a gift from the Lord, and we are to use it ALL for His glory, especially within the area of finances.

One of the hardest things for me was eating at home for every. single. meal. What a beat down, if I'm completely honest! I cooked 23 dinners (out of 28). WOW, that's just crazy to me! We did a meal swap with some friends, so we received two dinner from them during the month, and then we went out on my birthday, went to a dinner party, and then my girlfriends treated me to a birthday dinner on another night. So, that is 28 out of 28 dinners accounted for. I feel so accomplished!

All in all, it turned out to be a great time of fasting from something that our society has become so accustomed to. And even though our initial goal of saving money didn't pan out (take a guess why...the amount spent on groceries increases when you eat at home for every single meal), it still was well worth it in my mind! Until next February, we will be mindful of how much we spend eating out, but by golly, we will enjoy or family meals out every once in a while! This momma can't cook that many meals in a row again for a long time!!!!

Be Blessed and Encouraged!

No comments: