Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Mom After God's Own Heart: Chapter 3

I told you I wasn't going to take long to post this chapter! This chapter was especially my "cup o' tea" since the title is, "Talk to Your Children About God". Again, the verses for this chapter are out of Deuteronomy 6: 6-7, "And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall...talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."

The last chapter was all about teaching, and a lot of our teaching is through our words, so talking to your children about God is definitely a key factor in growing them up to be Godly men and women. As a continuation from the first two chapters, is a reminder that until we are allowing the Lord to fill our own cups as women, we won't be nearly as effective as moms. One of my closest friends has often told me that as far as being productive and feeling like she is more in communion with the Lord, she spends a minute or two praying over her day before even lifting her head from her pillow. I have to say, the days that I do that as well, there is DEFINITELY a difference in my attitude, my priorities and my actions towards my family!

One of the great things about talking and teaching our children is that the Lord doesn't require us to have any kind of special abilities, training or gifts. Regardless of our background, upbringing, or education, we can still point our sweet children's hearts towards the Lord. Talking is a big influence, and no matter what type of home you grew up in, you know that statement to be true! Whether the talk was negative, positive or indifferent, in some way, we have all been effected by the way out parents talked to us and around us growing up.

A few of my favorite quotes from this chapter:

"It takes dedicated parents to produce consecrated children."

"Do you want your children to love God? Then simply talk about Him. Why talk about God? Because we talk about what's important to us. And when we don't talk about God, we send a loud message to our children that God really isn't that important. Talk about Him and His ways. Talk about His Word and His Son. Talk about the wonder of His creation."

"Gos is asking you to commit yourself to teach your children diligently to see Him in all aspects of life, not just those that are church related. Your teaching is to go on no matter where you are physically with your children."

"It's never too early to begin sharing God's words and teachings with your little ones, and it's never too late either!"

There is so much to process and act upon from this chapter so far! What great questions, even if you aren't quite yet in this stage of parenting (with older children), you still have the opportunity to influence your kids from the very beginning, whether through words or actions, attitudes and priorities! The way you lead your daily activities with your children can leave a lasting impression.

From A Dad's Heart...

By far my favorite excerpt from this section was, "A father can contribute much emotionally and physically to the children and to the home. But everything he does around the home spiritually seems to get double mileage. When dad comes home, the children listen. And because he's Dad, they really watch what he does and says. So, in your sweet way as a wife and mother, try to alert him to the importance of talking about God, talking about Jesus, talking about about being a Christian."

Little Choices That Reap Big Blessings

I love this section because it always gives practical steps of how to apply these truths to our lives. From this chapter the takeaways were:

1. Ask God to help you be more aware of Him.
In Deuteronomy, God begins with your heart, mom. He then moves to your calling to pass your heart for God along to your boys and girls. Ask Him for His help in making you more aware of Him -- of His goodness, of His creation, of His love for you.

2. Purpose to talk about the Lord.
Create an environment and a schedule or routine for teaching your children about God and the principles of Scripture. Go the next step and purpose to intentionally talk about God.

3. Examine your daily routine for opportunities.
How does your waking-up hours go each morning? And how can you introduce and interject God into that portion of the day? Are any little ones at home during the day? Hoe can God be the center of their at-home time? Scripture memory, illustrations with crayons. Listening to children's worship music, books. Are your children going off to public school? Send them into the world with a 3 x 5 card or a bookmark with a verse in their lunch. And don't forget to pause and pray with them in the morning before you drop them off.

4. Center on God at mealtime.
Examine your mealtimes. Are you praying and asking your children to participate in the praying?

5. End the day with God. Ending their day with a prayer, a verse or a truth and "Jesus loves you, and so do I" is just one idea.

So, TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT CHRIST! That's the main jist of this chapter, if you didn't get that from everything above! I hope that this has been somewhat encouraging to you, and not at all a beat down of maybe what you haven't implemented! Coming from someone who struggles with guilt over past mistakes, whether big or small, I have to constantly remind myself that each day is a new beginning, and the Lord gives much grace and mercy to me, as a wife and a mom! I have the opportunity to choose what to do with my day and the words that come out of my mouth, and I just need to train myself to think about what I'm saying before I do!

Thank you Lord, for your grace and the huge learning curve that comes along with being a Godly woman, wife and MOMMA! You are so gracious to remind me of your heart's desire for all of your children, to know you intimately. May I continue to be humbled by your Word, and may I continue to grow in my knowledge of raising my precious baby boy in your presence.

Be Blessed and Encouraged!


No comments: