Monday, March 29, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

So, I've started to follow another blog (yes, I know what you all are thinking, another one Jill, really?!?!?) and another one here, and it's been really motivating to get me back to one of my favorite things I get to do as a SAHM, COOKING! Even though I know that I'm not as confident with new recipes, I have a great selection of about 15-20 recipes that I rotate, and I do step out of my comfort zone at times and try new things!

I'm excited to share our meal plan for the week for a couple different reasons...

1.) It will hold me accountable to actually cooking, in order to save us money on dining out/ordering in. My default is if I haven't prepared for dinner by 4pm, we usually end up ordering in, or going and grabbing fast food.

2.) It will take me out of my comfort zone and get me to try new recipes because I will be posting all of my recipes as I cook them for that week and I don't want to run out of recipes to share!

So...here's is this week's meal plan and recipes!

Monday: Parmesan Chicken, Roasted Red Potatoes, Salad, Sister Schubert Rolls

Parmesan Chicken Recipe
Serves: 2 (if you need to feed more, just double the recipe)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 fresh or defrosted boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup stuffing mix or bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter and mix with garlic salt. Mix cheese and stuffing/bread crumbs. Dip chicken in butter & garlic mixture and roll in stuffing mix. Place is greased baking dish and bake 1 hour.

Roasted Rosemary Red Potatoes Recipe
Serves: 2
Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Coarse Salt to taste
2 tsp. Dried Rosemary
4 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
2 lbs. quartered red potatoes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If making with the Parm Chicken, you can cook them both in the same dish, just don't add the potatoes until half way through cooking the chicken (30 minutes left to cook).

Wash and scrub potatoes, leaving the skin on. In a large bowl, mix together well: salt, dried rosemary, olive oil and minced garlic. Once mixed, add potatoes and toss until fully coated.

Add to baking dish and roast for 20-30 minutes, or until hot the entire way through.



Tuesday: Salmon and Asparagus Bake, Brown Rice

Salmon and Asparagus Bake Recipe
Serves: 2
Prep Time: 20 Minutes

1 lb. Asparagus, ends snapped off
2 fresh salmon fillets
2 tbsp. butter divided
1 tbsp. flour
salt & pepper to taste
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 - 1/2 cup crushed club crackers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, bring about 1-2 inches of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the asparagus (if you have a steaming dish, use that, if not, just place the asparagus in the water) and cover and boil/steam for 3-4 minutes. Check to make sure the asparagus is still crunchy. Drain and place in casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with fish; set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter. Stir in flour, salt & pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, cook & stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over fish.

Wash out saucepan and reuse. Melt remaining butter and stir in crushed crackers. Sprinkle over cheese sauce.

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until salmon is cooked throughout.


Wednesday: Frozen Pizza, Ceasar Salad

Wednesdays are difficult for us becuase we both have small group and are out of the house by 6:15pm. For the three of us to eat by that time is a miracle so it's the one day during the week that I try to make something as simple as possible! Of course, I don't feed Caleb the pizza, he usually gets leftovers!

Thursday: Mom's Meatloaf, Green Beans, Sister Schubert Rolls

Mom's Meatloaf Recipe
Serves: 4-6
Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup stuffing
1 lb. fresh or defrosted lean ground beef
1 egg
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. dry mustard (optional)
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
ketchup

Preheat over to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add all ingredients except beef. Once thoroughly mixed together, add beef and mix with hands until married with mixture. Place in an UNgreased loaf pan. Cook for 45 minutes. Once done, cut in to center of meatloaf and check to make sure it's cooked thoroughly. next, layer top with ketchup and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Friday: Leftovers Buffet!!

Friday is my no cook day and I LOVE it! Sometimes we order in and sometimes, if there are leftovers, we try to eat them up!

Saturday: Southwest Chicken Chili, cornbread

Southwest Chicken Chili Recipe
Serves: 4-6
Prep Time: 10 Minutes

1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 can great northern beans, drained
1 can chili beans, UNdrained (level of spicy-ness is up to you!)
1 can chunk white chicken in water, drained
1 can green chilies
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin

Combine all ingredients in large stock pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Serve hot with cornbread and enjoy!

I hope this is a bit of encouragement to all you wives and moms out there! I would love to know if you use one of the recipes and if you liked it or not! Enjoy!!

Be Blessed and Encouraged!



1 comment:

Matt and Cristin said...

HA! I may just use your weekly menu as mine! I have just recently decided that I'm going to plan my meals out (weekly) as well. I have an almost 15 month old, I'm pregnant at 4 months (leaving me a little tired throughout the day chasing my little one!) and I almost always find myself scrounging around late afternoon stressed out about having a 'complete' meal for my husband when he gets home from work! I was supposed to start this weekend with my meal planning and shopping but lacked the motivation! I think I'll go shopping tomorrow morning and try your meals this week! :) Thanks for the meal ideas...they look great!