Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Office Adventures

As most of you know, I own my own business, Express Yourself! Creations. Well, I've taken a hiatius of sorts (from selling online that is) and it feels WONDERFUL!! As much as I absolutely LOVE my company and what I do, it feels so great to have the freedom and time to choose what I want to do with it!

So, the project. Well, we live in a four bedroom apartment (which I also happen to love!), but our office is the smallest room in the house. Somehow we've managed to fit 3 1/2 desks and a large metal storage shelf into this tiny room that can't be any bigger than maybe 9x9. The project goes along with my What 2010 Means To Me post that I did early January. My goal this year is to organize and de-clutter our home, and now that we're expecting, it desperately needs to be done by the end of the summer, along with a million other things!

My office is just obsurd. I'm thoroughly embarassed by it. I keep the door shut at all times, no matter who is coming over. I give the tour of the place, and when we come to the office, I just tell them what it is, but I N-E-V-E-R open that dreadful door. Now granted, my office has not always looked like this. I have fond memories of the days when it was neat, clean, organized and everything had a home, but somehow, over the past few months, a few tornados have blown through and I just can't muster up the courage to go in there. Therefore, all of my projects and fun things I had planned on starting at the new year have been put on hold.

Becuase I can't face the fear of my own dis-organization. I've always thought of myself as a pretty organized person. I mean, I was an Executive Admin, Office Manager, Accounting Manager for 10 years before I became a stay-at-home mom. I was in the business of professional organizing (only one of many of the job descriptions I had for myself)!

So, I recently was discussing my dis-organization with a friend of mine and she quickly offered her services of helping me. She clearly had no clue as to what she was getting herself in to at the time! She's the type of person who is not afraid to tell me what to throw away, give away, or sell. She's bold and shares exactly what's on her mind. And that's the EXACT type of person I need during this process! I warned her of the state of my office, that you can't hardly even walk in the room without stepping on something, that my desk has piles and piles of papers and projects and fabric and all the scrapbooking supplies you could dream of just piled high on my 2 1/2 desks. I warned her. And she listened. And she still offerred to help. So I took her up on it! And man am I excited to say that Saturday between Noon and 3pm, we will be diligently attacking the state of my office!

So, here are a few before pictures of my office. The most embarassing pictures I will probably EVER post on this blog, but nontheless, necessary, just to prove how hideous it is in it's current state. My goal is to sell/get rid of at least 1/3 - 1/2 of everything you seen in these pictures, including desks, so if you know anyone looking, have them contact me! And, God bless my sweet friend (who shall remain nameless until I get her permission, and pics of her helping me as proof) who has graciously given up a couple hours of her weekend to help me.



I will continue this post with updated pictures as we progress. I have a feeling it's going to take a lot longer than just a few hours to organize that black hole, but I do have hope!!

Be Blessed and Encouraged!






1 comment:

Katie said...

But just think of how goooooood it's going to feel when it's done! And then how much better it's going to feel to move some toys out of your living room! The inner organizational freak in me can't wait to see the results. Good luck!