Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Forecast

October is going to bring some major changes around here.  Maybe not too noticeable to the outside world, but very noticeable here, and specifically to me!  I'm taking on a few challenges, some new, some repeats from "back in the day".  So, in order to have written proof that I've attempted these changes, I'm blogging about them, before I even start most of them!  If you read my blog, feel free to ask me how I'm doing with them through this next month.  I will also post updates, probably only once a week, for lack of time really.  Anyway, on to the good stuff...

Some of you may remember me sharing a while back about a new morning routine that I was going to commit to for 3 months, May 15th - August 15th, called Hello Mornings.  Well, I kinda failed at the round, so I signed up for the next one, Sept. 15 - Dec. 15th and so far, I've been successful EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY. (Yay me!!).  If you know me at all, you know that I AM NOT a morning person, whatsoever, so hearing the not so soft sound of my cell phone alarm go off at 5:45 each morning has rocked my world.  It has been such a wonderful accountability "program" for me, just knowing that 20-25 other ladies, who are mostly in my life stage, and have the same desires to wake up early before the kids and spend some quality time with Jesus, has truly made the past couple weeks so far so much more enjoyable, and doable!  I've never met any of these wonderful mommies in person, but I get to have a short conversation with them each morning when I "check in" in our group's FB page each morning, as soon as I get up.  Some of us are working towards getting in steady quiet times with Jesus, as well as a morning workout routine.  Don't even ask me how I'm doing with that last bit, because there is absolutely nothing to share!  Anyway, this is one thing that I will continue to strive towards through the month of October, in addition to texting a dear friend of mine each morning at 6:30, to help hold her accountable to getting up and having Jesus time before the kids wake.
       
Next, comes the not so fun part of the month...cleaning.  I have written out a detailed cleaning check list for each day of the week, and hopefully I can stick to it!  I created a Family Binder quite a while back and have not had the motivation to fill it and use it until just within the past couple weeks.  It's so cute that I think I was almost afraid to use it for fear of beating it up, but isn't that what it's for?!?  Anyways, the first round of tabs are monthly sections (Jan - Dec) for calendar pages.  I've got a great layout that works best for me and I've been using it in my purse size planner for quite a while.  I was pretty excited to have a full size binder to move to, it gives me more writing and planning space!  Here's a cover shot... 

  Here's a sneak peak of what my "layout" looks like.  I've got everything color coded too (yes, I'm sure y'all think I"m absolutely insane but I don't care, it works!).  As you can see, my "chore chart" is in gray, schedules are in teal, and misc. notes in yellow at the bottom left.  On the bottom right of each page, I have my mission statement, a GREAT daily reminder of who I am striving to be during my short life here on earth, and in the top right corner (not filled in yet), is a place to put the memory verse I'm currently working on.  Also included is a menu planner, a water log and the day's most important things to accomplish.  I'm really hoping being more organized on paper (and having a box to check) will really help me get my butt in gear!
I also just put together a quick weekly calendar.  It's hanging on the wall in our kitchen and includes breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the week, a place to jot down anything on the calendar, a grocery list and a to do list.  I know it's kind of a repeat of what's above, but it's more for Aaron to see what we have going on that week, as well as if there is anything in particular he wants from the store he can jot it down there.  It's great because as you can see, it's a dry erase board, so each week, I get to start over!  I love it!
                                      

So, finally, my final goal for the month is this.  I went out and bought two composition notebooks, one for Caleb and one for Asher.  My goal is to simply write or journal something to them at the end of each day, including what I'm specifically praying for them that day (using the mommy's prayer calendar found here: http://www.inspiredtoaction.com/wp-content/uploads/kat/I2A_Prayer_Calendar.pdf).  It doesn't have to be anything long, detailed or emotional, just something that I truly want them to remember about that day.  My goal is to do this each day of October, in hopes that it will become a regular "event" in my daily life.  I would love to be able to give them all of these journals with hand written memories and letters from me.  Can you tell that my love language is words of affirmation?!?

Well, there you have it.  My goals for October are to stop procrastinating, set a morning routine in place, follow through on a cleaning/organizing regimen and be consistent to love on my boys in a more tangible way, even if they don't realize what it is now, I truly just want them to know how incredibly much I love being their mommy!

Be Blessed and Encouraged!


No comments: