Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Happy Mother's Day to all you amazing mommas out there! What a special day to celebrate the amazing blessing we have to raise our sweet children! I am blessed beyond measure to be a momma to Caleb, and soon enough to Asher. There is nothing I have ever wanted more in life than to be called mommy. Everyday I thank the Lord for this gift. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but by far the most rewarding. I wouldn't trade my early mornings, late nights, cuddling and crying days for ANYTHING!!! I truly cannot imagine this life without my boys!

As a girl from a very young age, all I ever wanted was to be a mom. I can remember making lists of all the names I wanted to name my 18 children (yes, I used to want 18 children). In my 20's I found out after a different circumstances and medical issues, that it was probably not possible for me to have biological children. Although my heart was broken, I continued to trust the Lord with this desire of my heart, and decided that even if I couldn't have my own, I would adopt. I've always known that no matter what it took, I would be a mom.

Obviously, finding out after only two months of trying, that we were pregnant with Caleb, I was speechless. Oh how I prayed for that moment of seeing a positive pregnancy test, and not ever knowing if that was going to happen. I truly believe that Caleb is our miracle child, and I thank the Lord every single day for his precious life, that He entrusted Aaron and I to raise him in a godly home, and to disciple him well. What a calling it is, to be a parent and I am so richly blessed.

When we decided that we wanted to try for another one, we went into it with the same mindset. Just becuase we had one, didn't mean we would be able to have another, so we set our expectations low, and continued to pray and seek the Lord for his will for our family, whether it was for more biological children, or if it was our time to pursue adoption. Again, we were shocked to find out we were pregnant the very first month.

I continue to be amazed and often find myself crying tears of such joy because the Lord has fulfilled the greatest desire of my heart. While we don't know what the future holds for Caleb and Asher, we trust that the Lord's plan for their lives are far greater than anything we could ever dream of, hope for or plan for them. Of course, my heart's greatest desire has now changed to them coming to know the Lord through a personal relationship with him. To grow in their love for him, and others, to know His word and to passionately follow after Him.

As I've written before, my absolute favorite passage is Psalm 139. Everytime I read it, or even think of it, I tear up, because I truly feel that even though we do not know what the future holds, the Lord does, and I can continue to trust in Him for my every need. For my children's every need. For their safety. For their hearts. For their lives.

I was given the following by a friend at my baby shower and often read back over it, reminding myself on those difficult days of the gift I have of being a mom. I know that not every woman who desires this same gift is blessed with it, and although I don't know why the Lord chose me, I am thankful He did. Today, I am praying for the hearts of all of you out there who have this same desire, yet it has not been fulfilled. Having been where you are, I know what you are going through. The longing, the heartache, the wondering why. Continue to trust in the One who knows the desires of your heart. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

"Before I Was A Mom"
Author Unknown

Before I was a Mom,
I made and ate hot meals.
I had unstained clothing.
I had quiet conversations on the phone.

Before I was a Mom,
I slept as late as I wanted
And never worried about how late I got into bed.
I brushed my hair and teeth everyday.

Before I was a Mom,
I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys or forgot words of lullabies.

Before I was a Mom,
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never been puked on
Pooped on
Spit on
Chewed on
Peed on
Or pinched by tiny fingers.

Before I was a Mom,
I had complete control of:
My thoughts
My body
And my mind.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held down a screaming child
So that doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces
When I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small
Could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.

Before I was a Mom,
I didn't know the feeling of having my herat outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know the bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small
Could make me feel so important.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was ok.
I had never known the warmth
The joy
The love
The heartache
The wonder
Or the satisfaction of being a Mom.

I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom.

Today and always, I pray you feel especially blessed and encouraged! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: